Tabs

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dump It Soup



My sister called yesterday and said she needed a soup recipe.  I told her I would get on that, so here you go the best go to soup recipe EVER!!!
Dump It Soup
1 lb browned hamburger or turkey
1 large onion chopped
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can great northern white beans, undrained
1 can cut green beans, DRAINED
1 can corn, undrained
1 qt. diced tomatoes
3 large carrots, sliced
1-2 c. beef bouillon
1-2 tsp. minced garlic
½ tsp. thyme
½-1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
Fry hamburger and onion.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Cook in a crock-pot on low for 8 hours or for one hour on top of the stove. 

Ok, that is what the recipe SAYS, but now lets talk. 


The thing I like most about this soup is it is poor man’s soup, you really can put whatever you want in it!  It really doesn’t have to be exactly what the recipe says.  I don’t know about you, but last week I spent my grocery money on Black Friday deals.  Why buy food when I can get Christmas gifts for a great deal!?!  So on a day like today I have to go to the food storage to see what I have. 

You can see in my picture I have Garbanzo Beans and White Kidney Beans---the recipe calls for Great Northern White Beans and Kidney Beans.  I don't care, the hubby and I are not picky and we will eat whatever.  Beans are beans and this is fine.  No worries!

Now the recipe calls for 1 large onion and carrots.  My fridge is so sad right now I don't even have an onion or carrots.  Oh well, fake it 'til you make it!  I found some green onions in the back of the fridge so I cut those up.  We really like green beans so I dumped another can of green beans in since I couldn't think of anything else to replace the carrots with.

Oh and I like to add tomato sauce to my soup.  Just a personal preference.  

Just dump it all in the crock-pot and forget about it!  The recipe says 8 hours, I think that is really long.  I usually just cook mine for about 5 hours.  The meat is all ready cooked so you a mainly just waiting for your carrots to soften up and letting all the ingredients blend with each other.  

About 15 min before we eat I add all the spices.  I don't even use all the ones listed in the recipe and I never measure spices.  Just start dumping a little bit of this and a little bit of that in.  I will tell you my secret...I usually dump in a couple Tablespoons of brown sugar.  It gives it a little bit of a sweet kick that I really like.  
Here's my soup that I have in the crock-pot cooking right now.  Try it out, it's not a bad dinner.  Oh and it is a great recipe if you have canned items that are going to expire and you need to use them, put them in the soup.  Well, if it makes sense to put it in the soup.  I have some pineapple that I need to use but I don't think I am going to dump that can in my soup!  Enjoy!